– Review – Gilmore Girls -A Year In the Life –
If you haven’t heard about, run to your living room, get comfy and cosy and search in Netflix for Gilmore Girls Revival. We can go back to Stars Hollow nine years after the last time we were there for 6 hours, divided into 4 episodes and a full year of the life of these amazing characters. I love to see Paris (she is great), Kirk, Lane and her band…as well as the main characters
The Revival has been divided into the seasons of a year. We start the show in Winter and leave it in fall. These 6 hours are so intense and full of feelings. You will laugh, get angry, sad, happy, will cry, will feel back home and completely lost…This show has been, is and will be one of my favourites ever. If you haven’t watched it yet (you totally should) Gilmore Girls is the story of Lorelai and Rory Gilmore through the years.
Lorelai is a single mum who got pregnant when she was 16 and Rory is her daughter. With both of them, you will see differents points into the American society and the effort and sacrifices of a mother to ensure the best possible future to Rory. After 7 seasons we leave Rory on her way to cover the Obama campaign after graduating in Yale and Lorelai finally with Luke but most important, all the drama with the Gilmore family in the past and with an amazing future.
Now, be aware that if you carry on reading, you will find spoilers (sorry it is so hard to comment it without)and that I would love to discuss things with other Gilmore Girls fans as these 4 episodes have not been enough…
- WINTER: In this episode, we go back to the life of these amazing characters with a massive absence. Richard Gilmore passed away and in this episode, we see his funeral and the impact of his loss to Emily, Lorelai and Rory. To me, this episode is full of feelings. Also, we see how is the life of the characters now.
- YES, Lorelai and Luke are together and I would like a lot if the dream that Lorelai had (in which she was pregnant) was real but at least, they live together and seem to be happy.
- Rory…on the other hand, is so lost. She has no job, no house, a fake boyfriend (or I really don’t know how to describe Paul) and no plans. There is not a backup, there is not a list and clearly, she is not that successful journalist we all hope she would be. To be honest and completely fair…I think she made a big mistake when she declined a real job for the chance or an internship in a big newspaper and even when she met her idol and managed to have her number at the end of season 7 seems that she never go back to her. Even if was hard, I think she made the right thing not getting married to Logan at that point. However, she travels a lot to London and surprise! She is having a kind of open relationship with Logan. He is engaged but they still seeing each other. She even hides this from Lorelai. Seriously Rory, didn’t you learn anything after being with Dean while he was married? This has been very unexpected to me.
- Emily is completely lost. After 50 years Richard is not longer there and she does not know what to do that is completely understandable. Lorelai and Emily started to go together to therapy and once again some of the dirty plates came back to the top.
- SPRING: we continue with the three of them trying to find their place in the world now and we are back to the Stars Hollow meeting and having differents cameos. Emily, in a very particular way, lets Luke know that Richard left some money to franchise Luke’s Dinner and, obviously Luke does not want to. This opens some old scars and for a moment I panicked thinking Lorelai and Luke will break up. We are even back to Chilton and that moment in the bathroom with Paris was so funny. Again, I think Rory could be a bit more open-minded. She has no job and when she had an offer she seems to be offended. I think she would be a good teacher.
- SUMMER: my less favourite episode and kind of a disappointment. Basically, we have a Stars Hollow musical that could be cool if they don’t make us watch the full and, in some parts, painful songs. They could make a song and then the last one that is very touchy and perfect to the moment but 10 full minutes were not necessary, especially when you have just 6 hours and too many things to catch up with. Those 10 minutes would be better in a scene omitted in the fall episode or telling us a bit more about Paris, Lane, Jess, Dean or more scenes with Rory and Lorelai. I was a bit angry with this episode. In the other hand, Jess appears in this episode and thank god. As usual, he is brilliant and helps Rory to find her way and her goal in life and is just so perfect the way that everything fills in. Rory is the new editor of the Stars Hollow Gazzetta and Jess suggests to Rory that she should write about something she is passionate about and that a book about Lorelai and herself is perfect. This revival is about circles all the time and what could Rory tell better than her own story? What if all the episodes that we have watched are chapters of that book? Isn’t it perfect? Thank you, Jess! 😻Obviusly, this brings a big fight between mother and daughter and thankfully does not last long.
- FALL: why is this my favourite? is all about circles of life, closing doors to open new ones. Lorelai decide to go Wild and I must admit that I have no faith in her going to the nature and walk or follow the book experience but that phone call to Emily made me cry like a baby. In Winter, we have a very sad moment when Lorelai is not able to tell a funny or nice story about Richard after his funeral. In this episode, the circle close with a perfect story and a great moment mother-daughter. Second, Lorelai and Luke finally are getting married and I love it but…we don’t see the big wedding and this annoys me a bit. After all this time, I think we deserve that moment. The funny speech, the dances, the white dress and the happy ending but we just have a sneak peak of an amazing decoration, a wedding in the middle of the night without Emily (that I find terrible. Emily should be there) and I still thinking those 10 minutes could be the wedding and not the musical. Rory and Lorelai agree to go with the book and Gilmore Girls will be a reality. That moment when Rory run full of excitement to tell Jess she will write the book is so beautiful and that moment that they share is pretty. Also, the conversation between Luke and Jess after makes it clear to me that Jeff is not over Rory. About the circles…we close lots of them.
- Like in the first season, Lorelai goes to Emily and ask for money. They agree that Lorelai will use Luke’s franchise money to make The Dragonfly Inn bigger and Emily ensure Lorelai and Luke will visit her as she did with Friday Dinners. That means that Michel will stay and Sookie is back to the Dragonfly Inn. I missed the moments between Lorelai and Sookie and I think they have loss a bit that magic they used to have on the screen.
- Rory and Logan break up. We have a last Death and Life Brigade moment and was so magical😍and full of heartbreaking goodbyes. Logan could say something like “If you jump, I jump” and would be perfect; they could have another ending…but once again…Logan offers her a life she is not willing to take. In season 7, Logan proposed and Rory decided to carry on with her career and declined to the proposal. The last scene between them was Rory giving him back the ring. In Fall, Logan offers her a house. After one last night together, Rory decides to carry on writing her book in Richard’s old office and declined to be “the other one” giving him back the key.
- Emily decides to sell the house and buy a new one. First thing under her name and quits DAR with a lot of style. Also, she has a job and seems so happy. She leaves back all the weights that have carried for 50 years.
- Rory and Dean. That conversation was perfect. The way that she tells him what would she write about him is the Dean that we have watched all these years and was nice to see that he carried on with his life and is happy.
- The final circle that close…was unexpected but after 24 hours I think is a perfect way to close this show. If tomorrow they say that we will have more episodes, I will be so happy and waiting to watch them but if not…I think we can kind of guess what would happen.
FINAL FOUR WORDS: before the release date was a lot of hype with the famous last words. Amy Sherman-Palladino has said that she always knew these would be the final words.
Rory: I’m pregnant
WHAT A BOOM!!! 🙀 I totally was not expecting this, even if during the episode you kind of seeing it coming, but ending there? OH NO! I can’t, I need more! I was so angry and I really wanted to scream to Amy Sherman-Palladino. HOW DOES SHE DARE? Where is the next episode? I was really so upset. Could not believe it.
MY THOUGHTS ABOUT WHAT WOULD HAPPEN: After giving it a good thinking I started to understand that the last four words and how is a perfect way to finish the circle of life. Rory is unexpectedly pregnant as Lorelai was. I really believe the father of the baby is Logan ( no that one night guy) and I also believe the conversation between Rory and Christopher could be between Logan and Rory in the future. Logan is Rory’s Christopher. I think Logan is completely into the family businesses and he will marry Odette. He will try to take part into the baby life and will have moments with Rory as Lorelai had with Christopher but they do not belong together after all. 😿They have had lots of chances and they keep saying goodbye. I also think, the baby is a girl and will be the fourth Lorelai Gilmore and I think, Rory will write her book and will success with it and may go back to Chilton as a teacher or move to Queens and start a life there as she mentions during the episodes.I also think Jess is Rory’s Luke and he will support and help her as Luke did with Lorelai. That moment when Jess looks at Rory was so Luke looking at Lorelai during the first seasons.😻 Finally, I think Lorelai and Luke will be a modern and most tolerant version of Emily and Richard. A perfect circle of life. I would love to see all this but if we don’t …that would be my ending:
Rory = Lorelai
Jess = Luke
Logan = Christopher
Lorelai & Luke = Emily and Richard but in a modern way.
And to close perfectly the circle, in the last episode, after these four words we listen for the first time in this new season the opening song and if I was not crying enough, I cried a bit more…
Let me know your thoughts or your theories about Gilmore Girls.
Lots of love,